Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by BermudaOnion at Bermudaonion’s Weblog where we get to share new words that we’ve encountered in our reading.
This is the first time I’m participating in Wondrous Words Wednesday, and I’ve got a whole backlog of weird ones. They come from ‘Retromancer’, a steampunk novel written by Robert Rankin. This book has some really funny phrases. Rarely does a book make me laugh out loud, but this one does. One of the main characters uses a lot of arcane language that would make Shakespeare scratch his head. So, here they are:
1. Thaumaturgical – “Upon mahogany shelves the leather spines of Mr Rune’s vast collection of Thaumaturgical books glowed with a rich patina.”
- Def: Having, brought about by, or relating to supernatural powers or magic: fey, magic, magical, talismanic, thaumaturgic, theurgic, theurgical, witching, wizardly. See supernatural.
2. Pehurverance – “I simply abhor it’s pestilential pehuverance. Could you not open a window?” Def: Couldn’t find one! Maybe it’s a made-up word.
3. Hierophant – this is a type of tarot card (High Priest/ Pope)
4. Parousia – meaning the second coming of Christ
That’s it for this week. My favourite is ‘pehuverance’, what’s yours?